Every pool owner can agree that taking off a pool cover and putting it back is a two-person job – and it’s a one heck of a job.
A pool cover reel is a convenient alternative to this chore. A pool cover reel can rid you of this hassle. You just need to know what is the best pool cover reel on the market to protect your swimming pool most conveniently.
9 Top Pool Cover Reels Reviewed
With the right type of pool reel, covering and uncovering becomes super easy. After thorough analysis and testing different pool cover reels, we have narrowed down the 9 best options. If you are unsure which reel suits your pool, check out these options:
1. VINGLI Pool Cover Reel Set 18 Feet Pool Solar Cover Reel
If you are looking for a reel with a strong built, Vingli pool cover is the most recommended choice. It works best on 14 to 18 ft. inground pools regardless of the shape. Its legs are made from stainless steel whereas the reel is made from aluminum eliminating the worry of rusting.
In addition to a lockable telescopic tube to prevent the reel from shaking, a strap link design is included. No extra effort is required for rolling the reel.
- Solid wheel design
- Stable pulling mechanism
- Sturdy construction for maximum durability
- Comes with limited instructions for newbies
2. VINGLI Pool Reel Set 14 Feet Solar Cover Blanket Reel Roller
This is another great pool reel with sturdy construction and maximum durability by Vingli. It is perfect for 14 ft inground pools. It features a 7 section aluminum pipe design that doesn’t droop.
The embedded strap link design makes the pulling force bigger and stable. The reel has a great balance. One person is enough to roll up by themselves. It has a mechanical look to prevent rotation of the roller when it’s rolled.
A hand crank is located at one end of the product for smooth operating. Rolling and unrolling the cover becomes super easy.
- Stable and sturdy construction
- Super easy assembly
- Aluminum tubes are strong yet lightweight
- May sag in the middle if the pool is wider
3. HydroTools In-Ground Pool Solar Blanket Roller Reel System
HydroTools roller reel system by Swimline is carefully manufactured to make rolling and unrolling trouble-free. The advanced reel system supports a 3 to 4 inches tube. It features 2 sturdy wheels and 2 cranks.
It also features a strong footpad base to handle the strap kit easily. All straps and hardware are included in the box. The product comes in pieces and it’s very easy to assemble. Only 5 minutes is what it takes to assemble this model.
- Suits pools of all shapes
- Quick assembly
- Easy to handle by one person
- Poles are not included
4. HydroTools by Swimline In-Ground Pool Solar Blanket Reel System Set
This reel system set includes two stands and 2 cranks. The solar cover rolls up a 3-inch tube kit to accommodate the reel. Pinch roller bearing makes cranking easier. Another good thing about this solar blanket reel system is that it’s cost-effective.
It works well and rolls up smoothly. One person is good enough to roll and unroll the cover. As long as you follow the instructions, you will have no problem assembling.
- Sturdy construction
- Easy usage and installation
- Ideal for inground pools
- Does not work well with large pools
5. PERFECT DAY Winter Solar Reel and Blanket Covers
This 16ft wide pool cover reel is designed to protect the rolled-up solar blanket of your pool. It’s made from waterproof material resistant to snow, rain, and other weather damage. It features two elastic cords that allow the cover to securely fasten itself to the solar blanket.
The waterproof cover zip wraps around the solar blanket while it’s still on the reel. This cover fits all types of reels. Drawstring and straps are present at both ends to protect against rain, ice, snow, and UV rays. The cover is designed to extend the life of your solar blankets.
- Super easy to install
- Made from waterproof material
- Fastens securely
- Its zipper is not strong
6. HydroTools by Swimline Complete Above-Ground Pool Solar Reel System Set
Swinline hasn’t forgotten about above ground pools. This reel system is made from premium aluminum reels with heavy-duty construction. If you are in search of a lasting option, you won’t be disappointed. It is designed for above ground pools between 12 to 18 feet.
Like other Swimline products, it’s very easy to move. Only one person is required to get the job done. You must mount it on a deck or top rail to use.
- Sturdy construction
- The aluminum reel is rust-proof
- Takes 5 minutes to install
- Instructions are somewhat unclear
7. HydroTools by Swimline In-Ground Pool Solar Blanket Roller Reel System
If your inground pool has a little unusual shape and you are wondering if it’s a reel system out there for your pool, this solar blanket roller reel system is for you. All straps are hardware to attach it to the solar blanket comes in the package. The poles must be purchased separately though.
The package also includes two wheels, 2 cranks, and 2 footpads. It’s easy to assemble and ready for use within 10 minutes of assembly.
- Heavy-duty construction
- Designed for pools of all shapes
- Works on 16 feet to 21 feet wide pools
- Its plastic is not a great weather-resistant
8. Kokido Solaris II Above Ground Swimming Pool Cover Reel and Tube Set
This kit set is perfect to accommodate the needs of all above ground pool owners when it comes to pool protection. If your pool is 18 ft. wide, this kit has you covered. It’s a reel and 7-piece hexagonal tube set. It comes with all fixtures to assemble the reel.
Tube pieces are made from high-quality grade aluminum alloy. Crank arms are included for rolling and unrolling cover. The reel makes it easy to manage the cover and store it when it’s not in use. It works with or without a railing.
- Doesn’t need a railing to work
- Easy to assemble and store
- Tubes with an alloy construction
- Two people are required for rolling
9. Intex 28051 Roller for Solar Cover
Who says you can’t find a roller for a rectangular pool. If your pool is between 274cm and 488cm and it’s rectangular, choose Intex 28051 Roller for Solar Cover.
It’s made from heavy-duty materials with the aluminum shaft is provided for smooth interlocking. The hand crank is also made from non-corrosive plastic. It’s convenient to use and does a great job of protecting your pool.
- Quick to use and cover the pool
- Made from durable materials
- Perfect for rectangular pools
- Bends a little bit in the middle
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose The Right Pool Cover Reel
Now that you know all your options in the best pool cover reels, how do you know which one’s the right reel for your pool? Experts say certain factors determine which one’s the ideal option. Let’s review them together:
Carefully look at the construction of the reel. Always focus on durability. Reels made from aluminum are the best option because they are durable and lightweight. The second best option is steel reels. Avoid plastic reels at all costs because they are likely to get damaged by the sun.
Ease Of Installation
Some reels have an overly complicated installation process. It is normal for reels to come in pieces with lots of parts. Depending on your experience with assembling reels, you might find an easy process complicated. Therefore, choose a model that comes with well-explained instructions. Ideally, the one with minimum assembly requirements is the best. Otherwise, you will need external help for installation.
Check The Crank Arm
The crank arm is an important part of the reel. Choose the model with the sturdiest crank arm. The more heavy-duty it is, the easier it will be to roll and unroll the cover. Its quality will also ensure the longevity of the reel.
Get a reel that’s wide enough for your pool. Measure your pool before looking for a reel. Some swimming pools come in unique shapes and sizes. If yours is unique too, an adjustable pool cover reel will fit your pool.
Wheels And Straps
Check the wheels and straps of the model since their quantity will determine how effectively you can use the reel. The wheels must be large and easy to move. Don’t forget to check if the wheels are compatible with your cover.
Before heading to shop for a reel, set a budget for yourself. Leave a cushion to spend a little more than you intended if you find a great product. This will save you money further down the line making pool maintenance easier and affordable.
Frequently Asked Questions
To use your pool cover reel with perfect, there are some Frequently Asked Questions about the product:
Q: How To Install Solar Blanket Pool Cover To Reel?
- Review the instruction manual included in the package to be sure you are on track with the installation, to begin with.
- Use a hammer or rubber mallet for pressing the bearings into the reel’s frame.
- If applicable, install casters into the frame. You should be able to see pre-drilled holes already.
- Now place the tubes across the pool’s end. Your reel will be placed there.
- The tubes must be adjusted by tightening the screws and joint webb. This webb fits inside both ends of the tube.
- Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for attaching the joint webb to the tubes. Use the tek screws included in the package.
- After assembling the tubes, attach them to the reel’s frame. Use collar, crank, and shaft for this. Again, follow the manufacturer’s guidelines to get everything right.
- Once everything is intact, use the handle to roll the cover. Make sure the cover is rolled over the reel.
- If you have reel cover, place it on your reel once it’s rolled up.
- Put the reel away for storage.
Q: How To Attach Solar Pool Cover To Reel?
- Usually, the solar cover is placed inside the top rail of the pool.
- To attach the cover to the reel, mark each edge of the cover under the tube.
- Lay down the cover flat on the ground by removing it from the pool.
- Draw a straight line between the spots you have marked.
- Roll the cover up until you have reached the line on each side. Now mark a cross on the line.
- Measure the space between the first marks and space.
- Add 3 more marks down the line.
Q: How To Install Above Ground Pool Solar Cover Reel?
- Measure your reels width and mark the rail on each side where you will mount the brackets.
- Rollers mount directly on the rail using snap clips. The clips come over the bottom of the rail.
- When you are positioning the reel, make sure the mounting feet are lined up straight. If they are not mounted straight, it won’t operate properly. It might even break or jam.
- Once you have installed the reel, it’s time to install cover latches at the pool’s end. After extending the cover, fasten the loose end of the cover using the latches. This will ensure the cover stays in place.
- After installing the cover, roll up the reel to test if it’s working fine.
Buying a solar cover reel is a great investment. It reduces pool maintenance and makes your life easy. While all above-mentioned reels are great, the best pool solar cover reel is the one that matches your pool’s size and meets your needs.
Once you have purchased the ideal reel, you will be spending less time covering and uncovering the pool and more time cooling yourself off in the heat.