There are tasks you need to do regularly to ensure that your swimming pool performs in optimum condition. These include checking the pool chemicals and replacing the pool skimmer system.
You might know about maintaining a balanced pool, but never replacing a pool skimmer or even the gasket. This piece looks at how you can replace the skimmer that has the butterfly gasket.
Follow these steps when replacing above ground pool gaskets and skimmers to have a successful experience.
1. Drain your pool water level to about 2-inch below the skimmer. That allows you to remove the worn out skimmer and replace it with a new one without a hassle.
It also prevents water from seeping in between the pool wall and the liner, where you attach the butterfly gasket.
2. Remove the hose that connects to the skimmer. Leave the open end of this hose in your pool to prevent water that might flow from the filter from splashing around.
3. Remove the screws and hold the skimmer faceplate in place. It is the cover that conceals the non attractive screws fixing the skimmer on the wall.
Take out the screws that hold the skimmer on the pool wall.
4. Place a few screws back in the faceplate to hold the liner. It can get pulled down by the weight of the water.
5. Alight the butterfly gasket, new skimmer, and the faceplate in place. Here is how you can install this gasket:
- If you are installing the skimmer for the first time, you would need to align the skimmer with the butterfly gasket or wall-saver gasket while inside your pool.
- Then cut the liner, but do not touch the gasket.
- We are replacing the skimmer; hence, you need to place your butterfly gasket one half on the inside and the other half on the outside – sandwiching the wall and liner between the two halves.
- It is time to move ahead and install the skimmer.
6. Now you can find a way to remove the screws you place to hold the liner in place and position the parts, including the faceplate. Reinsert the screws starting from the bottom ones.
Tighten them to affix everything on the pool’s wall.
7. Attach the hose to the new skimmer.
8. Add water so that it can reach about the center of the skimmer and run the filter system.
9. Check for any leak. You might need to reinstall the whole system if you find a hole. If it is ok, you can fill the water to your desired level and start swimming.
Note: A butterfly gasket is an accessory that helps to prevent the skimmer, liner, and other fixtures from touching the pool wall. That can help to prevent rust.
You can now install a pool skimmer with ease and attach the butterfly gasket without any hassle. It would be better to follow the brand’s instructions when attaching any accessory.